12/22/2004

My Technologies

Here is a slice of internet software I am currently using daily and am finding invaluable to my research and writing efforts:

Firefox - Rediscover the web
Since its official version 1.0 release in November Firefox use has been growing quickly. I gave it a good, critical trial before abandoning Internet Explorer but Firefox is now my default web browser. Features such as tabbed browsing, and the ability to add features created in the open source community are really powerful. I've got spell check, a web design toolbar, and all sorts of other cool additions. Microsoft seems to have given up on improving IE, and Firefox is striving ahead with a dedicated worldwide group of volunteer programmers. I'm never going back!

RSS -- Feed Demon

I am a news junkie and RSS allows me to create my own personal news program that pulls the latest updates from websites of all types. These websites include those maintained by fellow researchers all the way up to major news organizations like the New York Times. And Feed Demon is my RSS aggregator and reader program. FeedDemon gives me a good bit of control over how my feeds are organized and other good features. Sure, there are plenty of web-based readers too, and in fact I have my wired feed on my personalized Yahoo page. But for the really heavy reading Feed Demon is great.

FURL -- your personal web
With my FURL IT link on my bookmarks bar I can quickly archive and share a web link on my personal furl website. This is so superior to the standard favorites/bookmarks built into your web browser. With FURL I can access my links from any web browser, they are easily search able and categorized, have a place for comments and/or quotes from the site, and I can share them via RSS or through my dedicated website.

And of course blogging through Blogger is great. I have a BlogThis! link on my bookmarks tool bar too. I haven't been using it too much yet, but am starting to get into the swing of this blogging thing.

No comments: