3/04/2005

Egocasting or Narrowcasting?


"They encourage not the cultivation of taste, but the numbing repetition of fetish. And they contribute to what might be called “egocasting,” the thoroughly personalized and extremely narrow pursuit of one’s personal taste. In thrall to our own little technologically constructed worlds, we are, ironically, finding it increasingly difficult to appreciate genuine individuality."

So writes in Christine Rosen in The Age of Egocasting from The New Atlantis. Her concern is that as we wrap ourselves into our own private worlds we will start to withdraw from the society around us. And I think that is somewhat true. Since Christmas I have noticed a lot more earphones in the ears of people in the YMCA fitness facility. And while I listen to my own iPod its just struck me as funny that here we all are in the same room, doing the same thing, but also all in our own little worlds.

But you know what? Even when I didn't wear headphones, I didn't talk to anyone else there. And the few I do recognize now, we pull out the earbuds and talk. For me its not a matter of egocasting, but rather narrowcasting. With my iPod, filled with my music, Podcasts and other items, I can listen to what I want, when I want, participate in ideas and discussions that I want to be part of. I used to just listen to whatever was on the TV station in the gym, normally forced to watch something of little interest.

At one time most people in our country participated in the same events. Everyone watched the Milton Berle show, or Ed Sullivan -- they didn't have much choice, because that was all that was on. Now we have many options for entertainment, and it is rare that everyone watches (or listens to) the same thing, much to the chagrin of the Academy Awards folks and their advertisers. So I agree that some shared experience is lost, but were these really quality experiences? I think what we gain through narrowcasting more than makes up for what we lose.

For another take on the subject please check out Regina Lynn's article at Wired News.

No comments: